Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The last canoe trip?

Last Wednesday I paddled the Beaver River Canoe Route from Beaver Lake, west of Stillwater Reservoir, to High Falls Reservoir near Croghan. All told, I canoed and carried about sixteen miles. I finished at dusk and began pedaling my bike the eighteen miles back to the put-in, in the dark on a dirt road. Happily, a hunter picked me up after mile twelve. The canoe route has a fair amount of development--power stations, utility lines, summer camps, and roads--but there are wild sections. I think I saw a couple of bald eagles on Effley Falls Reservoir. I'll post a link to a more detailed description of the trip in the future. Several days after the trip I went skiing on the Whiteface highway. An almost-sure sign that the paddling season is over for me. What was your last trip of the year?

2 comments:

  1. Well, my last paddle was back in late October on Moose Pond. Calm waters, no company, still some autumn colors splotched about, but not much visible wildlife. Lovely, relaxing and perfect temps.

    However, I am still holding out for at least one more paddling day before the snow stays for good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, your day may come. It's supposed to be sunny and warmer the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete